Speak Up Vero Beach Share this page:
Vero Beach, FL
Speak Up Vero Beach
100 17th Street
Vero Beach, FL 32960
Direct Email Speak Up Vero Beach
SpeakUpVeroBeach.com was the hub for online community engagement about the future of Three Corners from November 19, 2019 to February 7, 2020 when DPZ CoDESIGN was hired by the City of Vero Beach to help envision the future of Three Corners with input from the citizenry.
Engaging the public online at SpeakUpVeroBeach.com was a new concept in our community. It became so successful because everyone had a voice, even if they couldn't attend meetings and public workshops.
Here are results from the Three Corners initiative . . . with a peek into why some decisions were made.
Online community engagement for Three Corners has concluded on SpeakUpVeroBeach.com. For the latest information about Three Corners, kindly visit the City of Vero Beach website
Below please find information about Online Community Engagement and why it is important in our community. Online engagement will become even more important as patterns for public debate on important issues will change because of COVID-19.
Why is a Community Engagement Platform important and how can it change the pattern of decisions made in our community?
- Nationally, 7% of people attend public meetings where decisions are made and swayed. 93% of citizens are never heard from.
- People who give feedback at public meetings don't typically reflect the diversity and fabric of the community. Feedback tends to be negative and often combative.
- Many people want to participate but are too shy to speak at a podium to express their views. Or they are working, or tired after work, to attend meetings.
- Local newspapers strive to fill the role of impartiality and local watchdogs, but with the rise of social media and information overload in general, important issues can get lost in the noise.
What is an Online Community Engagement Platform? Online engagement platforms integrate the best attributes of:
- a website = a lot of information but no engagement opportunity, other than email
- social media = high engagement opportunity, with no information, that devolves to misinformation sharing
- Website & social media channels are independent and not connected. There's no mechanism to collect meaningful information & integrated data between the two.
- The online Community Engagement Platform at SpeakUpVeroBeach.com was a new concept that provided both information and many ways to respectfully engage online in discussions and idea sharing. It provides direct feedback to elected officials outside of public meetings. And interactions are transparent to all.
VeroBeach.com contributed financially to online community engagement software and managed all aspects of community engagement and online promotion for Three Corners on SpeakUpVeroBeach.com