Speak Up Vero Beach Share this page:
Vero Beach, FL
Speak Up Vero Beach
100 17th Street
Vero Beach, FL 32960
Direct Email Speak Up Vero Beach
NOTE: Online community engagement was closed on February 2, 2020 - a week after Andres Duany's Closing Presentation to the community on January 31, 2020. Discussions will begin again in the next phase of the Three Corners initiative.
SpeakUpVeroBeach.com is the online hub for community engagement about the future of Three Corners – 38 acres where the decommissioned Vero Beach Power Plant, former postal annex, and water treatment plant now stand.
The online civic engagement platform at SpeakUpVeroBeach.com is a new concept for civil discourse & idea sharing around a community-wide issue.
In this case, it’s about Three Corners considered the most significant city (publicly) owned waterfront property available for re-development on Florida’s East Coast.
World renowned planner, Andres Duany and his team at DPZ CoDESIGN, have been engaged by the City of Vero Beach, Florida to help the community envision the future of Three Corners through a series of public meetings called Charrettes with additional input from the community online at SpeakUpVeroBeach.com
What is a Community Engagement Platform?
- Websites provide information with no engagement
- Social Media provides high engagement with no information
- The online Community Engagement Platform at SpeakUpVeroBeach.com is a new concept that provides both information and many ways to respectfully engage online in discussions and idea sharing. It provides direct feedback to elected officials outside of public meetings. And interactions are transparent to all.
Why is a Community Engagement Platform important and how can it change the pattern of decisions made in our community?
- Nationally, 7% of people attend public meetings where decisions are made and swayed. 93% of citizens are never heard from.
- People who give feedback at public meetings don't typically reflect the diversity and fabric of the community. Feedback tends to be negative and often combative.
- Many people want to participate but are too shy to speak at a podium to express their views. Or they are working, or tired after work, to attend meetings.
- Local newspapers strive to fill the role of impartiality and local watchdogs, but with the rise of social media and information overload in general, important issues can get lost in the noise.
INFORMATION on SpeakUpVeroBeach.com
- Extensive Public Document Library for learning & researching history of Three Corners
- Published News Articles about Three Corners
- Facts about the Three Corners property & Closing Presentation to the community by Andres Duany on Jan 31, 2020
ENGAGEMENT on SpeakUpVeroBeach.com
- Join online discussions
- Share Ideas
- Ask Questions
- Surveys & Quick Polls with results published
NOTE: Online community engagement was closed after Andres Duany's Closing Presentation to the community on January 31, 2020. Discussions will begin again in the next phase of the Three Corners initiative.
Communications Team for DPZ CoDESIGN for Three Corners, Vero Beach, Florida:
Irina Woelfle at IWPR Group, LLC responsible for PR & Communications
Elisabeth (Lil) Miller-Fox at VeroBeach.com responsible for Online Community Engagement at SpeakUpVeroBeach.