Do You Have a Hard Time Saying No?
Share this page:
May 19, 2022
by TammyS | For Seniors
Do You Have a Hard Time Saying No?
If Seniors Helping Seniors can help you in any way, please call (772) 492-8381
Do you have a hard time saying no? It is a very small word - just two simple letters. But, saying no can be tough, as we do not want to disappoint, alienate, or hurt anyone’s feelings. Let’s explore how we can begin to say no in certain situations.
The ability for some of us to say no may stem from childhood when we were taught to respect teachers, police, parents, and, in general, anyone older than us. That includes doing what you were asked to do. However, as we grow up and develop our own personalities, ideas, and preferences, we should also learn to say no to requests that we do not want to be involved in. It is a skill that can be sharpened with time and will allow us to have greater control over our lives.
You should consider saying no when:
- You feel uncomfortable saying yes.
- You are too busy to take on another responsibility.
- When saying yes will not be aligned with your personal beliefs, goals, values, boundaries, etc.
- When saying yes will take time away from your family or personal time.
- You are saying yes only to please the person who asked.
- When saying yes will impact your personal well-being or mental health.
Here are a few ways to respond to a request when you do not wish to say yes:
- I have another commitment.
- I’m sorry, but I’m unable to fit this into my schedule.
- I’m honored you asked me, but I just cannot at this time.
- Unfortunately, I already have plans.
- No thank you, but it sounds lovely.
- Thank you for asking me, but I cannot at this time.
- Let me get back to you on that.
- Let me check with my wife/husband to see if we have anything planned for that time.
- I have a lot on my plate right now, so cannot say yes.
- Perhaps another time.
- I’m not taking on new commitments at this time.
- No, that’s not really my thing.
- The demands would be to much for me at this time.
Just remember that you can say no in a kind, appreciative and respectful way that should not offend the person making the request. Say no nicely and do not be wishy-washy. But, stand your ground, and state your answer clearly and emphatically.
- Real Estate (5)
- Eats (5)
- Education and Tutoring (3)
- For Seniors (30)
- Health + Beauty (28)
- Medical (14)
- Shops (1)
- Things To Do (1)
Making Your Home an Oasis
Whether you are a believer in Western philosophy, which represents the longest continuous heritage of philosophical reflection, and the basic principles of feng shui, yin/yang, or any other type of philosophies, following certain basic guidelines can help your home to become more harmonious. These generally include all five senses and following them can make your home a safe haven for your body and soul.
Disaster Supply Kit Checklist and Links to Local Shelters and Health Department
We are still in Hurricane Season here in Florida. Use this Disaster Supply Kit Checklist (General, First Aid, and Important Documents) to ensure you have everything you need in the event of a hurricane or evacuation.
Dealing with Summer Heat and Humidity
People who are 65 and older generally have a harder time adjusting to sudden or extreme changes in temperature. Their body’s ability to thermoregulate body heat may be due to medications, chronic medical conditions, etc.
What are the Benefits of Drinking an Adequate Amount of Water?
Your Personal Community
Do you have a “community” outside of family and close friends? Think about all of the organizations you may be involved in – church, women’s or men’s organizations, golf or other sports, craft groups, library, etc. Which do you genuinely enjoy spending time participating in and which do you do attend simply due of obligation?
Preparing For Hurricane Season 2022
We still have four months of hurricane season left in Florida, so here are some tips on how to protect yourselves and your loved ones.